Manifest Hope: inspiring cultural activism

There are many groups out there that exemplify the cultural activism I love and to which I aspire.  One of the best I've seen is Manifest Hope which takes the form of gallery shows in Denver and D.C. to celebrate Obamas presidency and the grassroots artists who helped put him there.  Each exhibition begins with a opening night filled with music from hard working, established independent musicians and passionate speeches.  At the helm is Shepard Fairey, aka Obey, the artists who created the iconic 'HOPE' image that became ubiquitous across the country last year.  I find Fairey to be a socially conscious, brand conscious, and ruthlessly independent artist and I wish there were more like him.  Wouldn't it be great to see more of these kinds of events in more cities, only with local non-profits instead of Obama as the rallying point?  Lets see what we can do.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment